The team I joined at my new job had been doing about 50 points per sprint with 4 devs and the manager when I joined. There were some additional staff changes, but when everything smoothed out again we ended up doing about 80 points per sprint with 4 devs and the manager. The new team did not seem better than the old team, but during the turbulence of the staff changes we changed how we prepared work to be done and managed to get better organized, which enables us to do more.
The change was a different way of collecting the relevant dependencies in the tickets. For example, instead of giving a vague reference to an endpoint that needed to be called, we made sure to give an explicit url, plus links to the swagger definition for the endpoint or a listing of explicit endpoints to be created and the related models. We also linked together all of the tickets that were related to make it easier to juggle which services were ready to release or where we had dependencies between tickets. It doesn’t seem like a significant change, but it resolved a bunch of the little dependencies where something wasn’t clear and you needed to hunt down an answer.
The other half of the anecdote is that due to scheduling conflicts we missed out on time to do some of the preparation for a sprint and ended up going ahead without as much preparation; we dropped back down to about 50 points completed. Our manager didn’t seem to have gotten any credit for us having gone from 50 to 80 but certainly caught flack for the sprint where we went back to 50.
Maybe this anecdote will inspire you to experiment with that little change that didn’t seem to be worth trying since it wasn’t clear how it would really help. Lining up a little change is easier than doing something big.