At work there has been a new practice of starting up strike teams for different projects. The idea is that for projects that require expertise not found on any individual team, you pull in a person or two from multiple different teams to get all of the correct skills on a single team. That’s the pitch of the strike team model, but the hidden downside is that it breaks up the cohesion of the teams that people are pulled from and the created team may not be together long enough to create new cohesion. This post is mostly going to be a chronicle of the issues that I encountered starting up a strike team and what we did to try to resolve the problems.
The first problem was coordinating the various different teams to figure out who was going to be involved. In the case of the strike team I was forming, the two teams contributing resources both wanted to know who the other team was going to contribute before making their own decisions. They also wanted to have a fixed end date to the project before deciding who to contribute. We ended up resolving this issue with a fixed date for whoever they contributed to the team and getting the two of them to discuss the situation amongst themselves.
The second problem was aligning the start date of the strike team. The three teams contributing resources all have different schedules to their individual sprints so it makes coordinating a ‘start’ date for the strike team difficult. Those who were on teams about to start another sprint wanted the strike team to start now, whereas those with other commitments made weren’t available. We ended up doing a rolling start where as each team finished their sprint they rolled onto the team and the team ramps up as people become available. We did some preparatory work to get everyone up to speed on the goals and challenges of the team so they were aware of what’s going on whenever they were able to join.
The third big problem is more specific to our particular organization, not to the strike team model. As part of setting up the strike team we needed to schedule things like standups and retros for the team. Since the team is split across both coasts, the hours for scheduling these meetings are limited. The conference rooms are also pretty much all booked because every other team beat us to scheduling. We ended up asking IT to rearrange some other non-recurring meetings and managed to get a consistent slot for the standups. The retro slot was more complicated but we managed to get meetings roughly spaced; by not being a stickler for strict week deliminations we managed to find times that worked.
So with all the overhead sorted out we finally get to move on to the real work of the situation which will be a nice change of pace from the administrative aspect.